Thursday, May 14, 2009


I am always taking macro photos of wood. Perhaps it's a pathological thing. A piece of wood doesn't look like much from a distance, but up close there are so many different colors and textures to be seen. I have taken photos of driftwood, tree bark, and even little bits of scrap wood left over from building our deck. I'm not really sure if other people enjoy my wood photos, or if they just think I'm insane.

My in-laws had a small fire on their property. When we visited this weekend, everything smelled like burning grass. Smaller trees had been reduced to charcoal. The coating of ash gave the wood in this photo an almost silver sheen. The color and texture reminded me of a lizard's skin. In fact, the piece of wood itself is even shaped kind of like a lizard.

No comments: