Saturday, May 9, 2009


What could be more disheartening than snow in May? I grew up in Calgary and I'm quite used to erratic weather. My birthday is at the end of May, and I remember two years when school was cancelled due to blizzard on that day. I also remember wearing shorts to school in February during the 1988 Winter Olympics. I've lived in Saskatoon for 6 years now, and I've been under the illusion that things were different. Once warm weather comes to Saskatoon it stays, right? Wrong. It snowed overnight, and much of the day today. I got the stepladder out and took some photos of the snow in our willow tree.

Graem brought a willow cutting home from his grandma's place back when we lived in Edmonton. We planted it in a pot and moved it with us to Saskatoon. It grew tall and gangly in the pot. When we bought our house, we decided to plant the willow in the front yard. The first couple of years it looked scrawny... I doubted its ability to withstand the elements. The willow has flourished the last year or so, and this is the first time it 'bloomed'. We'll probably take a cutting from the willow tree with us when we move this summer. It will still break my heart to leave the tree behind.

No comments: