Thursday, September 3, 2009

I have been trying for a while to get a good photo of these little white flowers. For some reason, the pictures I take always end up blurry. The other day I was doggedly persistent, and took about 30 photos of these flowers, despite the fact that they were in shade and the flowers beside them were basking in glorious sunlight.

I had envisioned a dreamy photo of the whole plant with shallow depth of field; one or two flowers in the foreground sharply focused, and the others gently blurred in a soft background. None of those shots really turned out. The white foreground blended into the white background, and it reminded me of the pattern on a plastic tablecloth my grandma had when I was three.

I like this sharp picture of only two flowers better than the dreamy ones of the whole flower mass. I ended up cranking the contrast... maybe a bit too much. For some reason, this photo evokes happy childhood memories- Christmas Eve, the first day of summer vacation, photographing lizards in Costa Rica... I guess that last one is not a childhood memory, but somehow it feels the same.

No comments: