Wednesday, May 20, 2009



I got a new teleconverter for my birthday! Of course I had to go try it out. My macro lens can take close-up photos with 1:1 magnification... so an ant, for example, will appear actual size in a photo. The teleconverter attaches to the macro lens and provides an additional 1.7X magnification.

I used to be scared to photograph lilies. They're beautiful flowers, but also very complex. Lilies are huge, and their various parts extend outward in so many different planes... It's hard to get the whole flower (or even part of it) in focus. It didn't help that I started out with a little point-and-shoot camera that had trouble focusing at close range and struggled in low light. I'm sure I have close to 1000 lily pictures on my computer from last year, and maybe 20 of them aren't blurry.

The teleconverter seems to allow me to take the kind of lily macros I've envisioned in my brain all along. I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun with it this summer. I can't wait to see how it does with dragonflies and butterfly wings!

No comments: