Monday, May 18, 2009




There is a weir on the South Saskatchewan River in Saskatoon. Every spring, pelicans congregate there and dive for fish in the turbulent water at the bottom of the weir. They seem to be having fun splashing in the spray and riding the surf. It really seems like an idyllic existence.

There were lots of people observing the pelicans and taking photos from the observation deck above. I don't have a long telephoto lens yet (another item on the wishlist). In the photos I took from the observation deck, the pelicans just looked like white specks. I crept closer into a "forbidden" area to get a better view. After about 20 minutes, I was surrounded by other people with cameras and tripods. It kind of spoiled the magic... The pelicans and I packed it in for the day shortly after.

No comments: