Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Every spring, these caterpillars take over my yard and eat all of the leaves. They are literally everywhere. You can't go outside without getting caterpillars on your clothing and in your hair. Despite being ubiquitous, they're quite hard to photograph. They move quickly and are so small that you have to get in very close to get a meaningful picture. The closer you get, the shallower the depth of field, and the less tolerance for motion. I took a few photos of this one, expecting to have a few good ones. I didn't really get any good photos, and only a handful that were in focus.

In years past, I've gotten upset about the caterpillars eating my plants. Since I'm moving this year, I'm fairly apathetic. It's not that I don't care about the plants anymore -- I'll actually miss them more than anything else in Saskatoon! I've just developed a fatalistic sort of attitude. They're not my plants anymore, and I have no control over their destiny. Whoever buys this place might choose to tear up the whole yard and turn it into a parking lot or swimming pool... I sincerely hope they wouldn't, but they might. It's a depressing way of looking at things, but it helps me to better tolerate the caterpillars.

I have about a week free between finishing work here and moving to Ontario. I hope to take a lot of photos in that time. Before I can post them, I'll need to find a place to store them! In a little more than a year of serious photography, I've filled up a 250G drive with photos. I bought a 1TB drive, but it is not on cordial terms with Digikam (my photo management program). I'm going to try to keep posting things, but if I can't for a while, that's the reason.

No comments: