Monday, August 24, 2009


Nights have been warm, and I have most of the windows in the house open. It's not uncommon for me to have winged visitors flocking to my desk lamp when I study at night. This one stuck around to indulge me in a photo shoot before being let back outside. This was an interesting insect to photograph. Much as I hate to praise Ikea, I got a very nice desk there. It's made of polished metal and has a modern, clean look. I don't have to worry about spilling my coffee on it, and the cats can leap up without their claws destroying it. It also provides a nice backdrop for photographing bugs.

This bug was well-complemented by the reflective desk surface. The photos really don't do him justice. His wings were intricately beautiful, and each segment of his thorax a different color - pewter, amber and copper. I took a few photos that were much better than these two... the problem being that I tend to eat at my desk. My best photos of this insect were marred by uncroppable pizza crumbs, about the size of his head.

No comments: