Sunday, October 4, 2009

The random number generator again helped me decide what to post today. I couldn't take any new shots thanks to yet another downpour.

This pink flower was photographed at the botanical garden yesterday. The only thing really special about it is its pinkness. When I first saw this group of flowers in real life, my first thought was, "These are impossibly pink". I was planning to save this shot for Red Bubble, but who am I to argue with the random number generator?

I've noticed that my camera does weird things with bright colors. Bright reds, oranges and pinks tend to look kind of burnt out sometimes, especially if its sunny. I was kind of annoyed about it yesterday after taking >20 photos of fluorescent orange flowers that didn't turn out. An expensive camera like mine shouldn't do that! In this case, it was likely at least partially my fault. I'm expecting to get a light setup soon for still-life and portrait photography. I figure this will keep me from sinking too deeply into depression over the winter when it's too cold/dark to go outside. In preparation for learning to deal with multiple light sources, I'm learning to use my camera in full manual mode. All of the photos I took at the garden yesterday were done with no automatic settings whatsoever.

Photography has a steep learning curve... but unlike some of the other steep learning curves I have encountered in life, I'm thoroughly enjoying this one so far.

No comments: