Saturday, April 16, 2011

Five

Five by Pantheroux
Five, a photo by Pantheroux on Flickr.
I have unfortunately just been afflicted by a hard drive crash. With frequent backups, I have only lost a handful of photos. Unfortunately the lost ones include some of my recent favorites like my long exposure gooseberry shots.

I go stir crazy over the winter. I hate cold weather and don't have much patience for ice and snow. Graem bought me some cut flowers to photograph, and while sitting in front of the computer munching gooseberries, it occurred to me that they might also make good photo subjects.

I wanted to take long exposures by candlelight, but it was harder than it looked. I wanted directional lighting, yet the falloff from candlelight is so abrupt that I had to bring the gooseberries so close to the candles I was worried about them catching fire...not to mention getting the candles in the frame. I ended up with 2 groups of 5 candles each, one off to camera left, and the other to the right of, slightly behind the gooseberries. I was pretty happy with some of my results. I still have the edited JPEGs, but unfortunately with the hard drive crash, my RAW images are lost.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After the above post, I went to this photo on Flickr. The cropping done when posting here, in my opinion, ruined this picture. Composition is nearly everything.