Sunday, August 16, 2009

I was reading a photography forum recently where a woman posted a (fairly decent) picture of a bird in flight and asked for criticism. The bird was at the edge of the frame, with an expansive and empty blue sky behind and below it. The people who responded suggested that she should have framed her shot differently to have the sky in front of the bird so it would appear to be flying into the frame. It became a discussion on "effective use of negative space". I was thinking about that post while photographing these flowers. What I noticed most when I peered at this flower through the viewfinder was not its vibrant petals or intricate centre. It wasn't even the jagged shadows on the petals. What I noticed were the green empty spaces between the petals.

It isn't really the same concept they were discussing in the forum, but I still find it amusing that I was thinking about negative space.

No comments: